Gas station without pumps

2015 August 28

Book draft 2015 Aug 28

Filed under: Circuits course — gasstationwithoutpumps @ 21:09
Tags: , , ,

I released an updated version of the Applied Electronics for Bioengineers text today.  This draft involved several changes:

  • I moved the electrode chapter and electrode lab to just before the EKG lab. This makes more sense in terms of the flow of the course, and means that the electrode lab can be done during the shortened Memorial Day week. The microphone, loudspeaker, and first audio-amp lab are now closer together, making a more coherent cluster (the hysteresis lab is still between the loudspeaker lab and the audio-amp lab). Unfortunately, the change also means that the introduction to op amps gets squeezed a bit, as the first audio-amp lab is a week earlier.  I’ll see how well that works this spring, and whether some other adjustment to the schedule is needed.
  • The hysteresis and relaxation oscillator chapter and lab were rewritten to take advantage of the frequency-measurement channels added to PteroDAQ. I replaced the old frequency recording with one done using PteroDAQ, and I added discussion of how to do the lab without bench equipment. I think that these chapters are essentially done,
  • The protoboards for using op amps came this week, so I took photos and put them in the audio-amp lab:
    Front and back of op-amp protoboard. This board replaces the instrumentation-amp protoboard used in previous years. Students will solder two boards: a microphone preamp and an EKG.

    Front and back of op-amp protoboard. This board replaces the instrumentation-amp protoboard used in previous years. Students will solder two boards: a microphone preamp and an EKG.

    I think that the new protoboards will be easier for students to use than the old ones—the grouping of wires is more obvious, there are more dedicated resistor slots, and each resistor can now connect to two wires at each end.

  • I also added a picture to the power-amp chapter of a bread board that I had melted by getting an nFET too hot:

    Too much current through a nFET can make it hotter than a breadboard can handle.

    Too much current through a nFET can make it hotter than a bread board can handle.

  • Throughout the book I changed references to the KL25Z board to references to the FRDM-KL25Z, as that seems to be the official part number for the development board.

At this point, I’ve rewritten and updated through Chapter 17, and I still have Chapters 18 through 28 to go.  It looks like I won’t get a full pass over the book done this summer

Work on the book and PteroDAQ will slow down somewhat for the next few weeks as I take care of other pressing deadlines: my teaching/research/service statement and biobib for a merit review—it’s been 4 years since the last time I did them; an external review for tenure of an assistant professor; final approval of PhD thesis that I read earlier this summer; finalizing the H. pylori genome assemblies I’ve been working on; setting up my web sites for fall quarter; planning the schedules for both my fall quarter classes; ophthalmologist appointment; training session for undergrad peer advisers; School of Engineering “all-hands” meeting; … .

I’ve spent about 4–5 hours on the external review so far, and have only read the CV, research statement, and two of the papers—there are five more papers to read, so I figure it will take me about 10 more hours to read the remaining papers and synthesis a coherent 1–2-page letter supporting (or not) the tenure case.

The thesis is a less difficult task, as I’ve already read the whole thing and marked it up—all I have to do is check that the corrections and clarifications I requested have been made.  I expect that to take 4–8 hours.

One problem is that both the tenure review and the thesis checking are tedious, so I can’t do them for very long at a time—but both are due next Wednesday. Writing the teaching/research/service statement will take some effort, as I have never been good at the bragging that seems to be expected—I tend to write honest statements of what I’ve been doing, which then get misinterpreted as my having been much less successful than what a straight reading of the material says.

1 Comment »

  1. […] tried out the new op-amp prototyping boards by wiring up microphone pre-amplifier (a slightly more sophisticated version of Lab 7 from the […]

    Pingback by Microphone preamplifier | Gas station without pumps — 2015 September 5 @ 15:47 | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: