This post continues the series of weight progress reports from the previous one.
My weight has recovered from the spike on Sept 18, thanks to my returning to my weight-loss diet. I was hoping by now to be able to go off the diet, but my occasional excesses have left me hovering around 158 lbs—2 lbs more than where I want my weight to be before I go off the diet.
I’m still on my strict raw-fruits-and-vegetables-for-lunch diet. I’ve not been very good this month about reducing my portion sizes for whatever we are having in the evening, but my wife has been preparing fairly non-fattening foods, so I’ve been holding steady on my weight, not packing on pounds. The leftover Halloween candy I ate today is probably going to put another spike in my weight, which is one reason for posting this blog post today, rather than waiting for tomorrow.
My exercise for October was relatively high (5.1 miles/day of bicycling), up from 2.9 miles/day in September and higher than my normal year-round average of just over 4 miles/day.
One good thing—I was able to wear a Halloween costume that I last wore when my son was in kindergarten, 14 years ago, and it fit better now than it did then. The costume consisted of parti-colored hose and a houppelande with dagged sleeves. The houppelande has always fit me (it is not a tightly fitted garment), but the hose were made to fit snugly with non-stretch material around 33 years ago, and I don’t expect to ever be that skinny again—my weight was less than optimal then.
Actually, I’m not sure I could get the hose on 14 years ago—though I did wear the houppelande that year, since my son was a snowy owl, and we went out as “the prince and the owl” from a series of bedtime/walking stories that we made up. By coincidence, my wife used the same snowy owl costume for Halloween at school this year (pinning the wings she’d made for his kindergarten costume to a white linen jacket from the thrift store, and making a new mask by printing one off the web, since his kindergarten mask was too small for her face).
We had about 50 trick-or-treaters this year—way down from the glory days around fifteen years ago, when we would have 140 trick-or-treaters, but better than the rainy night last year. Still we were prepared for more, which means that we have two or three bags of candy left over—I’ll have to take them in to work and leave them for the grad students.
We didn’t have time to decorate for Halloween this year—I carved a pumpkin rather hastily and stuck an LED strobe light in it (using the same LED boards and controller that I designed for the desk lamps, but with different software in the controller, so that the potentiometer controlled the strobe rate rather than brightness). I could have run the whole thing off a 9V battery, but I decided to run some long wires instead, and leave the control and 9V power supply inside the house.