Gas station without pumps

2016 May 11

Don’t put pulse monitor first

Filed under: Circuits course — gasstationwithoutpumps @ 21:25
Tags: , , ,

In Revised microphone pre-amp lab too long I said,

I think that the soldering lab should not be the first op-amp lab, but I still like the idea of the students having to solder up their microphone preamps. So I’ll have to do a major reorganization of the book this summer, to move a different lab into the first position.

Currently, I’m thinking that the transimpedance amplifier and pulse monitor lab would be a good choice as the first op-amp lab.

After a rather rough start in the first half of the transimpedance-amplifier lab yesterday, I no longer think that is a good idea. The instrumentation-amp lab went much smoother, so may be a better first choice.  Among other advantages, the instrumentation-amp lab with the pressure sensors has no analog filtering and simpler sensor sensitivity calculations.  One disadvantage of moving away from the mic preamp is that the microphone and loudspeaker characterization in the first half of the class would be separated from the audio amplifier design in the second half—not a problem in a single quarter class, but potentially a bigger problem in a two-quarter sequence.

I’m not sure why the transimpedance amplifier lab went poorly yesterday, and I’m hoping the second half will go smoother tomorrow.  It may be that prelab was not a good match for the lab this time.  Or it may be that over a third of the class didn’t do the prelab this time.  (I’ve threatened the class with a quiz worth as much as a design report if they don’t shape up by next week—I’m carrying around enough redone reports to grade that I really don’t want to do more grading, but I’ll follow through on the threat if so many students continue slacking.)

It turns out that I had several errors in the draft of the book that the students were using for the prelab exercises for the optical pulse monitor.  I’d decided in the summer or fall to switch to a new 700nm LED, but I’d only updated about half the scaffolding for the sensor sensitivity, so there were still a number of things that were only accurate for a 623nm LED.  Also, I’d been using a datasheet for the WP3DP3BT that I’d gotten when I first started using the part, but Kingbright has improved their datasheet a lot between V3 (which I had) and V5 (the current one), so there is now a spectral sensitivity curve on the datasheet, and the spectral sensitivity is quite different from what I was expecting.

I’ve started editing the book to correct the errors, but even after I fixed everything, the estimates for the current from the phototransistor were about 5% of what students were measuring in the lab. The model I had created, which worked fairly well for the previous LEDs, does not seem to work for the longer wavelength of the new LED.

I’m considering simplifying the model by eliminating the modeling of scattering, to see how well that works.  I should check the model with at least 3 different LEDs: the current 700nm one, the shorter wavelength ones I used to use, and an IR emitter.  If I can get the estimates to be within a factor of 10 of measured values for all the LEDs I have, then the model is good enough to include in the book.

I might also want to consider switching phototransistors to one with a wider spectral sensitivity, so that the estimation is not thrown off as much by the filter that blocks so much of visible light.  That would allow me to try a green LED as well.

I’m still thinking about doing a log-transimpedance amplifier as the first stage (not for the class, just for a demo unit) so that the pulse monitor can work in varying light levels up to full sunlight.  The fluctuation in light from the pulse seems to be about 1%, which should be a variation of about 850µV out of the logarithmic amplifier (based on the 9.8mV/dB I measured in Logarithmic amplifier again).  That’s a somewhat smaller signal than I’ve been getting with well-chosen gain resistors, but it may be worth it to get greater independence from the overall light level.

1 Comment »

  1. The second half of the pulse-monitor lab went much more smoothly, with several students done after 2 hours, and almost everyone done by 3 hours. I even got to leave the lab at 5pm, when the lab is scheduled to end—that may be the first time this quarter (or nearly).

    Comment by gasstationwithoutpumps — 2016 May 12 @ 20:52 | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: