Gas station without pumps

2019 July 15

Shakespeare cookie cutter v3

Filed under: Uncategorized — gasstationwithoutpumps @ 20:27
Tags: , , , , ,

My first post on the Shakespeare cookie cutter was about versions 1 and 2 of the cutter and stamp—both of which were basically unsuccessful.  I had two ideas for fixing the problems: making the cookie stamp larger and simplifying the artwork.  For version 3, I tried both.

The face is still vaguely Shakespeare, though the mouth is not right. I increased the size to 85mm (from 50mm and 60mm for the first two versions), which is the largest size that would fit on the 100mm-diameter bed of my Monoprice Delta Mini printer.

The printing was much more successful this time, with very little stringing or blobbing.

Here is the front view of all the pieces. The knob is still the one from version 2, as I saw no need to reprint it.

The back view shows the side that was against the glass baseplate (except for the knob, which I forgot to flip over).

I was worried about installing the shaft crooked, and figured that if I just used a machinist’s square, I’d end up supergluing the tool to the stamp. So I printed out an alignment jig:

The front view shows how the alignment jig holds the shaft directly in line with shallow hole in the back of the stamp.

The top view shows how I used 5 cylinders as to fit snuggly around the stamp to hold it in a fixed position.

The hole in the alignment jig closed up a tiny bit, so I held the metal rod with vice grips, heated it, and shoved it through the hole to make the hole just big enough.

Unfortunately, the only superglue I had in the house was several years old (though in an unopened little tube) and it did not set when applied—it was still soft after 15 minutes.  I’ll have to get some more superglue (or other quick-setting strong adhesive) tomorrow to attach the shaft to the stamp.

2 Comments »

  1. […] v3 cookie stamp was a complete failure, with the dough sticking to the whole face of the stamp.  Perhaps if I had […]

    Pingback by Shakespeare cookies | Gas station without pumps — 2019 July 24 @ 10:07 | Reply

  2. […] back to having separate cutter and stamp (as in Version 3), but don’t try to connect the two.  Make the stamp just have a few alignment marks so that […]

    Pingback by Shakespeare cookies v5 | Gas station without pumps — 2019 August 19 @ 14:59 | Reply


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: