Gas station without pumps

2019 January 8

One figure has been giving me grief for a long time

Filed under: Circuits course — gasstationwithoutpumps @ 09:22
Tags: , , ,

There is one figure in my book that has been giving me trouble for a long time:

A Moiré pattern figure for the sampling and aliasing chapter that was giving me trouble.

The figure itself is very simple, and it should have been no trouble at all. I created the figure in hand-written SVG, and all the SVG readers (Inkscape, Preview, and browsers) had no trouble rendering it on the screen. But when Inkscape converted it to PDF (using the Cairo library, I believe), it threw away the black bars in the background. When I asked Inkscape to print the image to PDF, it rotated the image.

For a while, I got away with rerotating the image in Preview and saving the result, but the file got damaged or deleted at some point, and redoing the rotation in Preview no longer worked—pdflatex seemed to have no idea that there was a rotation nor a bounding box any more.  (I think Preview changed when I upgraded the mac OS on my laptop.) This change happened between the 2018 Dec 15 and 2018 Dec 30 releases of the book, so the Dec 30 release had a messed-up figure without my realizing it.

Yesterday evening, I noticed the problem and set about trying to fix it.  Nothing I could do with Inkscape or Preview seemed to work—I either ended up with no black bars or with the image rotated and scaled wrong.  (Viewing the individual image with Preview sometimes worked—but the inclusion by pdflatex was failing in those cases.)

Finally, I decided that since Inkscape was incapable of rendering in PDF the pattern-fill I was using to create the bars, that I would give up on pattern fill to create them.  Instead I used a Python program to generate separate rectangles.  Inkscape had no trouble converting that longer but less sophisticated SVG program to PDF, and I was able to fix the figure.

Because this figure was messed up in the “final” release of 30 Dec 2018, I did a quick re-release last night, fixing this figure and a bunch of typos students had found.  Yesterday was the first day of class, and students have already reported 7 errors in the book (one reported after yesterday’s release, so it is still in the current version at LeanPub).

This year’s class seems to be very diligent, as all the students had the book downloaded by the first day of class, and some had started on the homework.

%d bloggers like this: